If you have ever been to India, you know that eating out on the streets will be a treat to your taste buds. Street food is a passion in India. It is common to find groups of friends and families going out for their daily dose of street food during evenings on Indian roads. The hygiene may not be the top most priority for the street food vendors, but taste surely is. Cheap and tasty food is what you get when you eat out on the streets. Here are a few of the well-loved street foods available in the country.
1. Chaat: Now this is a street food specialty that is popular throughout the length and breadth of the country. The ‘chaat’ is available in a huge number of varieties according to the location it is found in. Golgappas, Alu Chaat, Papri Chaat, Dahi Bhalla, Faluda and Panipuri are just a few of the chaats found here. Each region has its own specialties. While Calcutta is famous for its Phuchka and Jhaalmuri, Delhi is famous for its Alu and Chana Chat. Most people will usually have their favorite places for a quick chaat in their neighborhood where they will go down to almost every evening for a snack!
2. Dosa: The dosa is something that one can find in almost every part of the world these days but it is actually a very healthy south Indian dish. Because of the easy availability of rice everywhere, one can find dosa-makers at every region. Dosa is something that is easy to prepare in roadside stalls. It is healthy, filling and quick to eat, making it an ever-popular street food. There is also a special variety known as Masala Dosa which is a crepe stuffed with a mixture of mashed potatoes. This delicacy is served for breakfast and is the staple food in Tamil Nadu. Dosas can be had right on the streets as well as local dosas have their own distinct flavor.
3. Pav: Now the ‘pav’ is something that means a lot of things in India. It may be used to denote a piece of bread, or it may mean dishes like the Pav Bhaji or Vada Pav. All the dishes use bread drenched in a lot of butter and are very popular foods in the western part of the country. Bombay has its share of pav-aficionados with most people going down for an evening at a beach and eating their favorite street foods there.
4. Rolls: The word ‘roll’ may not be something that evokes a lot of culinary excitement in people’s hearts, but it is definitely a favorite streetfood of the country. There are a variety of rolls available here. A roll is actually a meat or vegetable filling stuffed into a piece of Indian ‘Paratha’. Kolkata is the place where the roll originated and it has an array of amazing varieties available on its streets. There is the Chicken Roll, the Egg Roll, the Chicken Tikka Roll, the Vegetable Roll, the Paneer Roll, and so no. Take your pick!
5. Indian Chinese: This is a street food specialty that will not be found in China. ”Indian Chinese’ is a creation of Indians and we can only say that it is delicious. You can find Chowmein, Chinese Fried Rice and Chilli Chicken in every street corner of the country which bearS no resemblance to actual Chinese dishes!
6. Samosas: The samosa is the most famous Indian street food which can be found almost everywhere, but it varies from place to place. It is a deep fried pastry stuffed with a mixture of potatoes, peas and vegetables and served with pudhina or tangy tomato chutney. This is usually had as a snack with tea.
7. Paani Puri: Paani Puri can leave your mouth watering, with the tangy water from the puri streaming down the sides of your mouth. This Indian food consists of hollow and round balls of rice flour which are stuffed with a mixture of chickpeas and potato. This is then filled with sweet water followed by tangy spicy water and swallowed after a single bite.
8. Pav Bhaaji: Pav Bhaaji is a versatile dish and this makes it a sumptuous meal by itself. The pav is heated with cubes of butter and served with a spicy flavorsome dish that’s often a thick vegetable curry. This Indian Street food also has its roots in Maharashtra, and it first started out as food for mill workers.
Indian street food forms an integral part of the cuisine and such food will be easy on your pocket.